48th session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, November 2010
The 48th session of the Africa Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), held in Banjul, The Gambia, 10-24 November 2010, was attended by 512 participants representing African State delegates, national human rights institutions, intergovernmental organizations as well as African and international NGOs. IWGIA facilitated the participation of 8 indigenous representatives.
The participations of indigenous representatives in the ACHPR sessions remain very important, as it contributes to raising all participants’ awareness of indigenous peoples’ human rights. Under the agenda item on the human rights situation in Africa, the following organizations made statement on indigenous’ human rights situation:
- The UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Legal Resources Center on customary aw and women access to land in South Africa
- Minority Rights Group, on the implementation of the Endorois ruling in Kenya
- COPORWA on the Batwa communities in Rwanda
- Arid Lands Institute on the eviction of pastoralists communities in Tanzania
- Ogiek People Development Programme on the eviction of Ogiek people in Kenya
- Survival International on the San people in Botswana and their right to access water on their traditional land
- UNIPROBA, on the Batwa of Burundi
Examination of state reports
In conformity with article 62 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the periodic report of the Democratic Republic of Congo was examined during the session. IWGIA and other partner organizations also contribute with background information and alternative reports that provide an alternative source of information and assist the ACHPR’s commissioners in asking substantiated critical questions on indigenous peoples during the constructive dialogue with the state and in the drafting of the concluding observations. An alternative report has been prepared by CAMV and Forest Peoples Programme.
Presentation of the Progress Report of the Working Group on Indigenous Populations / Communities
Commissioner Bitaye presented the Working Group’s report for the inter-session period between the 47th and the 48th session.
Adoption of country visit reports
The Country visit report from Rwanda was adopted by the ACHPR during its private session. The report will be published before the 48th session.
Please find here IWGIA's 48th session report